Direct Dial: (852) 3582 3288
Mobile: (852) 9034 9448
- Advanced Management Program, Harvard Business School, USA
- Master of Laws, University of Sydney, Australia
- Bachelor of Laws, University of Sydney, Australia
- Bachelor of Economics, University of Sydney, Australia
- Hong Kong SAR
- England & Wales
- Australia (NSW)
Larry Kwok is a founding partner of our firm. Before founding our firm, Larry was Managing Partner, Asia Strategy & Markets of King & Wood Mallesons (formerly Mallesons Stephen Jaques) and Managing Partner, Mainland China and Hong Kong of Mallesons Stephen Jaques respectively.
Larry’s practice covers corporate finance, securities, mergers and acquisitions, direct investments, corporate reorganisation and corporate rescue. He is also active in advising on regulatory matters such as insider dealings, market misconduct, accounting irregularities and violations of the Listing Rules. In recent years, he has also been increasingly involved in mining and resources sector.
He regularly provides business, corporate and regulatory advice to US and European corporations, PRC state-owned and privately-owned enterprises and Hong Kong corporations.
Larry is also qualified as a Chartered Accountant in England and Wales and a CPA in Hong Kong and Australia. Larry is rated / recommended by Chambers Asia, The Asia Pacific Legal 500 and PLC Which Lawyer? as a leading lawyer in Capital Markets / Corporate / M&A practice. He is recognised by The Legal Who’s Who – Hong Kong as a leading corporate finance lawyer and by Asian Legal Business in 2001/2002 and 2004 as one of the 100 most influential lawyers in China (including Hong Kong).
Larry also has a remarkable record of leadership and experience in public and community services. He is currently a Justice of the Peace appointed by the Hong Kong Government and has also been awarded the Silver Bauhinia Star by the Hong Kong Government.
He has served regularly on Government boards and committees. He is currently Chairman of the Independent Police Complaints Council and the Transport Advisory Committee. He is also a member of the Mainland Opportunities Committee of the Financial Services Development Council, the Land and Development Advisory Committee and the Mandatory Provident Fund Schemes Advisory Committee. He is also a Founder of the Hong Kong Principals’ Institute.
Previously, Larry was Vice-Chairman of the Consumer Council, Convenor of the Disciplinary Appeals Committee of the Hong Kong Stock Exchange, Chairman of the Traffic Accident Victims Assistance Advisory Committee, a member of the Competition Commission, Hong Kong Tourism Board, Insurance Claims Complaints Panel of The Hong Kong Federation of Insurers, Expert Panel on Listing and the Corporate Finance Committee of the Hong Kong Institute of Certified Public Accountants and the Review Body on Bid Challenges under the World Trade Organization. He was a member of the PRC Political Consultative Committee (Guangxi).
- representing China Machinery Engineering Corporation, a PRC state-owned enterprise undertaking international infrastructure projects, in its global offering of HK$3.9 billion of H-Shares and IPO on the HKEx with BOCI as sponsor
- representing Elec & Eltek in its listing on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange by way of Introduction
- representing Ausnutria Dairy on its IPO with Macquarie/BOCI as sponsors
- representing RHB Capital Berhad, a major Malaysian financial conglomerate, in its RM1.95 billion acquisition of OSK Investment Berhad and its subsidiaries in multi-jurisdictions (including its Hong Kong subsidiaries) from OSK Holdings Berhad, another Malaysian financial conglomerate, and the subsequent merger of their respective investment banking businesses. Credit Suisse advised RHB Capital Berhad and Goldman Sachs advised OSK Holdings Berhad
- advising international investors on due diligence investigations for the purposes of acquiring a number of gold, nickel and iron ore mines in China
- advising a Hong Kong listed company on its investment in Mount Gibson – a listed Australian iron ore producer
- representing a European private group in its acquisition of Hong Kong and Mainland China based watch and jewellery business, EganaGoldpfeil, with worldwide manufacturing and distribution licences for the Esprit and Puma watch and jewellery brands
- representing a Hong Kong listed company in the SFC investigation and SEHK enquiry involving historical transactions conducted without full regard to disclosure regulations
- representing a Hong Kong listed company and its directors in the SEHK enquiries involving an alleged non-disclosure of price sensitive information and share repurchases while in possession of such price sensitive information in breach of the Listing Rules
- representing certified public accountants and accounting firms in the disciplinary proceedings by the Hong Kong Institute of Certified Public Accountants and challenges made for judicial review in the appellate court
- representing a director of a Hong Kong listed company in the investigation conducted by the SFC into suspected disclosure of false or misleading information inducing transactions in the shares of the company
- representing directors of a Hong Kong listed company in the alleged breaches of Part XV of the Securities and Futures Ordinance involving hundreds of alleged violations. The matter was settled with the SFC with only five violations
- representing directors of Hong Kong listed company in the Hong Kong Stock Exchange disciplinary proceedings in respect of mis-statement in the company’s prospectus